Scallions, also known as green onions, are used in many types of cooking. They are garnishes for soups or rice. For Chinese cuisine they can be used in lo mai gai or sticky rice. In Korean cooking they can be the center of flavor for pajeon or scallion pancakes.
Scallions are vegetables from the genus Allium. They are close relatives onions, garlic, leek, shallots, and chives. Unlike many other members of the Allium genus scallions do not have a fully developed bulb. Scallions have hollow tubular leaves that grow directly from the bulb.
Look below to find out how to grow scallions in your kitchen! It is a very simple process.
- You will need a scallions, a jar, and scissors.
2. Cut the green parts off of the scallions and use in whatever recipe you like. You only need the white part, these are scallion roots.
3. Fill the jar with a 1/2 inch of water.
4. Place scallion roots in the water.
5. Place the jar by a bright window.
6. Watch the scallions grow.
7. Change the water every other day to avoid bacterial growth.
After you snip the regenerated scallion leaf for cooking. It will regrow again!
Scallions can be a nice substitute for a small amount of chopped onions in a recipe if onions are not available.
DID YOU GROW THIS?
Tag @culinary_cupcake when you upload your photo on Instagram and hashtag #culinary_cupcake