Herbs can bring such great flavor to food, and fresh is always better! Growing a jar garden for herbs is super easy! Jar gardens are great for their mobility and convenience. Jar gardens do not take up a lot of space and if you need to move it to where the sun is in your home it is very easy to do so!
- Collect your tools. You will need an empty jar, rocks or stones, potting soil, a spoon, and herb seeds or freshly sprouted herb seedlings.
2. Fill the jar ¼ of the way with rocks or stones. This will help the plants with drainage and prevent roots from being damaged by excess water.
3. Add potting soil until the jar is filled 2/3 of the way.
4. Place seeds or seedlings on top of the soil.
5. Gently add more potting soil until the jar is filled all the way. Cover seeds completely. If using seedlings make sure the seedlings are still exposed, but supported with potting soil.
6. Place in a sunny location, preferably a place that has 6 hours of sunshine a day. Make sure they are watered periodically, but no over watering! Watch the herbs grow!
7. Add the herbs to enhance the flavors of your favorite dishes!
This is a great activity to do with children! It’s alright if they get their hands dirty and in a relatively short time they will learn about how plants grow!
DID YOU GROW THIS?
Tag @culinary_cupcake when you upload your photo on Instagram and hashtag #culinary_cupcake
5 thoughts on “How to Grow a Jar Herb Garden”